COVID-19 Vaccine Information & Mandate
What are the current CDC vaccine recommendations?
Please click here to review the CDC's current COVID-19 vaccine recommendations.
What resources are available to increase vaccine confidence in our community?
- CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Strategies
- National Rural Health Association Resources
- Customizable Vaccination Campaigns
- HHS Rural Community Toolkit
- RHIhub Resources
- CDC Communication Toolkit: Communication Toolkit for Migrants, Refugees, and Other Limited-English-Proficient Populations (print and audiovisual resources available in more than 30 languages)
- CDC Southern Border Toolkit for Partners: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/southern-border-toolkit.html (resources for partners to provide timely, effective, and culturally appropriate COVID-19 messaging to serve those who live, work, and travel along the United States-Mexico border)
How can RHCs directly obtain COVID-19 vaccines?
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the HRSA Rural Health Clinic Vaccine Distribution Program (RHCVD) has distributed COVID-19 vaccines directly to RHCs free of charge. This program is concluding in August 2023. With any questions please contact RHCVaxDistribution@hrsa.gov.
How do RHCs bill for COVID-19 Vaccine Administration?
RHCs will be reimbursed by Medicare for COVID-19 vaccine administration the same way we are reimbursed for flu and pneumococcal shots: a lump sum payment, based on vaccine administration costs as reported on the cost report here.
Free COVID-19 Vaccine Log Template
COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate
In early 2022, the Supreme Court upheld the CMS COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate policy in all 50 states. The Supreme Court did not rule on the fundamental constitutionality of the policy. Instead, they ruled on the authority of CMS to enforce this rule while the underlying court cases challenging the constitutionality of the rule work their way through the court system.
RHCs are expected to comply with the mandate based on the schedule below, dependent on their state. RHCs must incorporate vaccine mandate policy and procedure per 42 CFR 491.8(d). NARHC has created a sample P&P which can be found here.
On June 5, 2023 CMS published the final rule ending the COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate for staff in health care facilities. Please see the QSOG memo for further details.
With any questions, please contact Sarah Hohman, Director of Government Affairs at Sarah.Hohman@narhc.org.